Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Why did the Moose cross the road?

Just a short post on this week’s topic, I pinkie-swear.
I am so thankful that six years ago I agreed to dance with my husband at a Hawaiian-themed Welcome Back institute dance. I ended up only dancing with two guys that night: my future brother-in-law and my future husband.
Michael had been attending our ward for three months and all I ever heard anyone call him was “Dave’s brother.” Not Michael. Not Mike. And especially not Moose. Just Dave’s brother.
Being the youngest child myself, I many-a-times have had my identity reduced because of my birth order. Yep, that’s right I’m Angela “Tommy or Jody’s sister” Kappes, nice to met you. Ugh. It is one of my pet-peeves.
Anyways, as we “danced” (you know, shifting our weight from foot to foot, Book-of-Mormon-apart, while Chicago played) I attempted to make small talk, “So,” I asked jokingly, “how long have you been Dave’s brother?”
And without missing a beat Mike replied, “Since the beginning of summer.”
We laughed. And I’d like to say that since then we haven’t stopped laughing.
I cannot express the importance of humor in a marriage. Being able to smile as we labor together is the greatest relief we can have.
As they say, Come what may and love it.
I am grateful for my husband’s wit. It truly assists me in loving our circumstances, and enjoying the journey.

1 comment:

  1. I remember first meeting him and being introduced to him as "Dave's Brother", but I was quick to call him Michael as soon I as I learned his name, myself also being "Tommy's little sister" for High School and College :-) Keep up the laughs!

    ReplyDelete