Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Little Things

I am not a master mother and have so much to learn. But here are some small things that seem to help...


  1. T-Rex throws tantrums. They are not really bad all the time but he does and they can really get to me. Especially if I'm on my last nerve...which seems to be most of the time. I found that when he calms down I am more patient with him...but I have to get there first. My niece also throws big fits and cries and wails like you've never heard. What I have begun doing with both of them is picking them up or getting down to their level and saying "Ok, count to 10 with me" and the proceed to count out loud to 10, reminding them to help. More often than not by the time we reach 10 they have calmed down. At the end I say take a deep breath with me. And we both breath in deeply. This has been so helpful!
  2. Sleep. If I don't have a decent amount of sleep under my belt, I am not a decent mother and do not make decent choices.
  3. I know where my son gets his temper from by the way. it's no secret that I have a pretty hot temper (which has become very controlled through my life!) When I raise my voice at T-Rex or command him, that's when he most wants to do the opposite of whatever I say. Or that's when he starts screaming. As of late I have really been working hard on talking calmly to him and asking politely to do things. it really works!! i know most of you are probably already soft spoken gentle mothers but this is what helps me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment