Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Better Late Than Never

So when Paula first posted to put on "sure fire" winning recipes in your home I completely drew a blank! But then I made a meal last night that my whole family absolutely loves and in the words of Gru "light...bulb." So here it is.

Fried Rice
1 pound bacon
1 egg per person
1 bag frozen mixed veggies (I prefer the mix with corn, peas, carrots, etc.)
Rice (how much you would normally make to feed your family. I made 2 cups dry last night and we still had leftovers...with me and two toddlers)
Soy Sauce

Get the rice cooking. In the meantime, chop the bacon into little pieces and cook in frying pan. Just before the bacon is cooked as desired (we like crispy) throw the veggies in the microwave until cooked. After bacon is cooked, depending on how much grease there is you may want to drain some. But not all of it. You need it for the "frying". Scoot all the bacon to one side of the pan and fry the eggs in the bacon oil. Then add all the rice and veggies and stir fry adding a few dashes of soy sauce.

Serve hot with soy sauce.

This isn't the healthiest recipe out there, but it's got protein, grain, and veggies in it!! My family will eat mounds of this any day. And the greatest part is it is great as warmed up leftovers! (And that is saying something because I do not love leftovers.\"/)

There is another variation that I have made before when I didn't have bacon. I just used oil. It was vegetable oil, but we have recently switched to olive oil in our family so I don't know how it tastes with olive oil. I heat up the oil in a pan, and then follow all the same steps starting at frying the eggs. This way of cooking it even won my brother in law over, and he is the pickiest eater I have ever met or heard of in my entire life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment