Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Toddlers and Sacrament Meeting

What ways do you try to keep your child reverent during Sacrament Meeting?


Let me first start by saying that if you have a child who is "active" (ie: almost every little boy from the ages of 18 months to... oh, wait. They will always be that way!) then bless your heart for sticking it out through Sacrament meeting! This is the hardest part of Sunday for us and there are many days where all I have thought was "Is it time for nursery YET?! Is this speaker REALLY going 20 minutes over? Can't he hear all the kids crying?!" BUT... There are so many ways to make the meeting go smoother. Attitude is everything for me. If I can stay positive and not let my crazy children get the best of me, my children are almost always better behaved. Pack your diaper bag the night before. Wake up early and have a nice breakfast as a family. Try your best to not rush! Our kids can feel our stress level and it affects them in ways that we may not always realize.


Right now, we use a lot of books and puzzles. I also let M bring one "special" car to church that he gets to bring every Sunday along with some little dinosaurs or small toys that don't make noise. We also found an amazing sticker book that I keep for emergencies. I think that's a big ticket. Have your emergency toys, books, or snacks that you know your kid will LOVE, but don't show them until they are at their wits end. M will enjoy everything I bring for him (small snacks and a sippy cup, books, etc.) but then he gets so bored and try as he may, his energy gets the best of him. I try my best to keep him in the chapel and for the past 6 months have very rarely had to take him out. When I do, we go into a quiet room for a time out so that he doesn't think it's play time.

No comments:

Post a Comment