Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Sprinkle Sacrament meeting

How I approach things such as sacrament meeting are shaped mostly by 3 things: my husband and my philosophy, the children with emotional disturbances I work with, and the class of all boys we had in primary for a year and a half. One thing it has taught me is that kids need to be able to wiggle and expend their energy in one way or another before being required to sit quietly for an hour or more. Another thing I have learned is how to take care of the problem before it becomes a problem.

I don't recall the last time I took little Sprinklet out of sacrament meeting crying. That isn't to say we don't leave. Before becoming a walker, Bromus did rather well in sacrament meeting. She was easily entertained with books and toys and food. Since walking she is harder to corral, but it can be done in small spurts. Bromus makes it through the sacrament portion every Sunday by bringing books for her to read, helping her turn pages in the hymn book, and providing small snacks. She can last about 30 min. Then come the ants. In her pants. When this happens we go out into the hallways and walk, then try again for a little bit. She is a little wiggly girl and has a lot of energy to expend. This helps her be better behaved and can make it through short stints in sacrament.

My goal is to create a little book with pictures of the Savior that I can use and whisper to her about during sacrament.

1 comment:

  1. That's one of my goals too, Amy! I'm thinking of getting a little 4x6 photo book and printing off some prints at CVS (19 cent a print). Now just to remember to do it! ;)

    ReplyDelete