Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Family Home Evening, eh?

There are a couple of things I have done in the past as separate activities, but could be done together or separate.

Numero 1:
This was done as a married couple with no children, but can be modified to work with kids too. (Oh dear, my Special Ed training is showing).

Wes (my better half) came up with the idea. We each gave each other a topic. Our job was to take our topic and tell the other what it was, why it was important, and do it like we were talking to someone who knew nothing of the church. We wrote down thoughts, then talked. My topic was visiting teaching and his was the priesthood. I liked it because it made you think what you really thought about that topic and why it was important to you. We've repeated that one several times.

Modifications: For doing this with young children, you could give them a topic and have them draw, write, say, what they believe about it or state their understanding. Unfortunately, this is probably better for older kids than most of us have. It would be beyond my almost 1 year old for sure, but I thought I'd share one of my favorites.

Numero 2:
This one, fortunately, is family friendly but probably takes more time. I love the days when a holiday falls on a Monday, like Columbus day. We took the opportunity to go on a family hike. I love being outdoors and being outdoors together is awesome. My perfect idea for family time: a family walk or hike.

1 comment:

  1. I love the hike idea! Spending time together as a family is important and why not do something you love at the same time?

    ReplyDelete